With time, your roof will reach the end of its lifespan without experiencing any damage and it needs to be replaced. However, in some cases, you need to do some preventive maintenance to avoid any issues. Here are some of the signs that you need to replace your roof.
- Curled, Cracked Or Cupped Shingles – If the edges if the shingles are curled or cupped, you need to consider replacing the roof. That’s because the damaged shingles will allow moisture and air inside the internal roofing system thus causing further damage. They need to be replaced immediately to avoid further issues.
- Missing Granules – Check your roof thoroughly to see if there are any missing granules. There should be bald spots in the areas with missing granules. If not replaced, the entire roofing structure would be vulnerable to damage.
- Old Age – How long have you had your roof? If it’s been more than 20 years, it’s time to replace it. Most roofs can last as long as 20 years and they become worn out and old after this time. Note that, although shingles are manufactured to last for a long time, there are many factors that might accelerate the aging process. For instance, if the roof is poorly ventilated it might affect your shingles negatively.
- Keeping Up With The Neighborhood – If your neighbors have replaced their roofs, you need to replace yours too to keep up with the neighborhood standards. Note that, if your roof looks old and worn out, the property prices in that neighborhood are likely going to dip. Therefore, you need to match your home to the rest of the neighborhood to keep the property values high, especially if you ever consider selling your home in the future.
- Dark Streaks On The Interior Walls – Any airborne algae will leave dark streaks on your roof deck. It might not cause harm to the roof shingles but it’s not a good look. However, it’s a sign that there is moisture leaking into your roof. Depending on the extent of the damage, you will be forced to replace it.
- Moss And Mold In The Attic – If there is mold or moss in the attic in your home, you need to replace your roof. It’s a sign that the roof is leaking and needs to be replaced immediately. Otherwise, it will cause damage to the roof decking and you will spend more money replacing the entire roofing system.
Contact Roof Restoration Canberra for more information.